Tuesday 28 February 2017

Monthly musing: February


This month definitely felt that winter is never ending, but with the first appearance of daffodils making an appearance outside, we'll soon have spring in our step. After all, February is the most romantic month of the year!

This time of the year can be wet, cold, and miserable. The celebration of new beginnings that come with New Year is long gone and we're all quite often back to our old ways despite trying! Well, until around Pancake Day, when we're given another opportunity to better ourselves, thanks to Lent!

I actually rather enjoy this bleak and grey time of year! Because I love wrapping up warm and the cosy feeling that partners it. Still, how to keep yourself entertained when it's cold outside without eventually getting serious cabin fever?
By reading!!!!!!!!

I been very busy with my running this month. Nearly every Saturday I go and run a 5K mostly walking and a bit of running. I'm only halfway in my couch to 5K! Which can go a bit better, had the most popular and dreaded injury which is the one and only shin splints.



We had snow! Told you we will have snow sometime. Though it snowed, stayed for a while then melted. So didn't really enjoyed the essence of it, apart from making footprints in the snow. I couldn't even make an angel. Oh, i'm not that childish.

I got to spend time with my Dad during the half term. Little things matter. He works very hard at his new job up here in Newcastle and work on shifts so one week he works from 6am to sometime in the afternoon. Then the next week from 2pm to anything in late evening (which is a bonus) to early morning the next day. Thankfully, during the half term, Dad worked on the later shift. Which meant that I had to share my cake. I didn't bake the cake it's was on a special offer in Asda and I really fancied carrot cake. Typical though, when you really want something you cannot find it or they don't have it in stock.  Though no one complained about black forest gateau. Especially because I paid.

Happy time and clock!!!!!!!!
This was the month where I got ID, to go to a nightclub and get drunk Would I do a thing like that? Though on a more honest approach, I actually got ID to go a to a pub with my Mum for a evening drink before getting a bite to eat. I only went to the pub to drink a soft drink.

I went to see two good films though very hard hitting and very emotional. Though I'm sure I cry at anything. I watched 'Loving' which is  true story about a young couple Richard Loving and Mildred Jeter. They lived a modest life in Virginia, not bothering anyone, just going quietly about their business. Yet one night police raided their home and arrested them both. Their crime? Richard was white and Mildred was black. Their interracial marriage violated state law. The Loving’s mission to have their relationship recognised as legitimate would take over a decade and go all the way to the Supreme Court. If you are feeling like the world is in an worthless place right now, Loving is a welcome reminder that things can get better. People can be good. The ungenuine don't always win.

I also watched 'I, Daniel Blake' Daniel Blake has worked as a carpenter for most of his life in Newcastle. Now, for the first time ever, he needs help from the State. He crosses paths with a single mother Katie and her two young children, Daisy and Dylan. Katie's only chance to escape a one-roomed homeless hostel in London has been to accept a flat in a city she doesn't know, some 300 miles away. Daniel and Katie find themselves in no-man's land, caught on the barbed wire of welfare bureaucracy as played out against the rhetoric of 'striver and skiver' in modern day Britain. The film shows the nitty and gritty bits of the benefits system. Which needs to be changed? Another post, coming later on this!

My song, this month is very childish though very good fun. I help out with messy church which is every third Wednesday of the month. The leaders finished early and didn't know how to entertain the children for five minutes. So I said, well I know a camp song though it's highly addictive and will get on the parents nerves. It was good fun dancing to the penguin song even more so watching the children participate even the adults.



My parents and I, occasionally have a music night by using Youtube. Unfortunately they put me in charge which means I can play wacky songs playing. My two favorite songs at the moment, is the penguin song, and Run, run, run my Michael Lewis. And yes, the penguin song got played my Dad has that song in his head.



It's about two or three weeks with no reading. I went to the library yesterday to find out that I had a hefty fine to pay. The modern library have a self service system so no more stamp date at the front of the book which I am used to. Though found a good book to read which is, 'Why we run a story of an obsession by Robin Harvie.

Shall I say quote of the Month or text of the month? "Also why as the bananas gone bananas? (That's not a joke) They somehow half peeled!"

No comments:

Post a Comment